SC&RA Releases Two New Videos on Driver Training and Load Securement for the Specialized Transportation Industry
(Centerville, VA - June 6, 2017)
- The Specialized Carriers & Rigging Association has produced two new videos dedicated to promoting safety in the industry by providing drivers and employers educational material on the challenges and dangers of specialized hauling and transport.
The first video, “Specialized Transportation Driver Training,”
was produced as a training tool to address the needs of drivers who are new to the specialized transportation industry, unfamiliar with the unique challenges of transporting oversize/overweight loads, and seeking to understand the additional federal regulations that accompany these hauls. As the industry continues to address the driver shortage
, having up-to-date tools to educate new drivers is a chief concern for continued industry safety. The new video is also a great resource for seasoned drivers in need of a refresher course.
Topics highlighted in the 25-minute video
- Driving skills, such as, navigating turns, intersections, and railroad crossings
- Route planning, permits, and hazard identification
- Liability issues with OS/OW loads
- Working with a teams of pilot and law enforcement escorts, utility and DOT officials
With cutting-edge graphics, driving demonstrations, and clear and concise explanations, the “Specialized Transportation Driver Training” video provides a solid foundation of information that every driver should know before he or she transports an OS/OW load.
Additionally, the “Specialized Transportation Load Securement”
video has been completely updated and improved from its 2006 version to provide drivers with the most current DOT regulations, policies, and strategies for properly securing cargo during specialized hauling. As recent industry initiatives have demonstrated
, proper load and cargo securement is essential to safe driving conditions, and is an especially important issue for oversize/overweight moves. The video instructs drivers on the regulatory guidelines needed to ensure loads are secure and cargo is protected.
Topics highlighted in the 19-minute video
- Explanations of FMCSA regulations and how they apply to specific loads
- Specific hands-on demonstrations of load-securement techniques for commodity specific loads
- Information on tie-downs and calculations to determine the number of tie-downs needed
- Animations for aggregate working load limits and performance criteria calculations
The “Specialized Transportation Load Securement” video is one of the best visual training resources an employer can provide their drivers to prepare them for the demands of the road.
The retail price for the “Specialized Transportation Driver Training”
video is $199 and is available to SC&RA members for a discounted price of $150. The retail price for the “Specialized Transportation Load Securement”
video is $199 and is available to SC&RA members for a discounted price of $150. Both videos are available to pre-order and are expected to be in stock mid-June. For further information call (703) 698-0291 or visit SC&RA’s store website